Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Ice Village in Midway, Utah.

So I had heard of this place from my sister and on the news, and decided it would be something that was pretty cool to photograph. The creator of this masterpiece, Brent Christensen, made a miniature ice castle in his sideyard last year, across the street from Pleasant Grove Junior High School. Everyone thought that was amazing, but I don't think any of us were ready for this years creation, which sits as if it is perfectly at home on what looks to be a golf course at the Zermatt Resort In Midway, Utah. I spent roughly 3 1/2 hours photographing this massive ice village. I do have to say that if you are going to go up, especially to photograph, you should definitely see what the village looks like after it is dark, because while it is beautiful in the daylight, it is absolutely stunning at night. There is plenty of room for a tripod, and it is set up very well for taking pictures. All of the photos below were taken with my Nikon D40 and either my Nikon-H 50mm F/2 @ F/2.8, or the 18-55mm Kit lens @ the minimum possible aperture. Special thanks to Robin, Austin, Corbin and Tia for keeping me entertained on the drive, and to Brent Christensen for spending so many hours creating such a beautiful piece of art.
















3 comments:

  1. Fantastic photos, Riley! Timed exposure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, and yes all of them were shot in manual mode, using all manual settings with the exception of AF on some. All of the night ones were shot with the 18-55mm lens at f/3.5 with shutter speeds ranging from about 1/15 second to 1/2 second depending on how much light was shining through that particular sculpture. I had the camera set up on a tripod, and used my nifty little remote to counter any tremors in my hands. The bottom thee were taken earlier and were shot with the 50mm at F/2.8 with exposure times ranging from 1/200 to 1/80 or so. I experimented with on-camera flash at very low power to try and even the lighting out, but while it looked decent, it took away the aqua colour of the ice, so I didn't both with it after a couple of test shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prettyyyy And you're welcome btw, for entertaining you :D hee hee hee

    ReplyDelete